Monday, September 24, 2012

Prost!

Also known as cheers, Prost is a word that I have become very familiar with this weekend at Oktoberfest.  Oktoberfest is the Disneyland of all Disneylands for adults, or in Germany, for kids over the age of 16. It is safe for me to say that Munich is now my new favorite city and one day I will live there for some time during my life.  This trip included a visit to the Dachau concentration camp, which is one of the first and largest to be established in Germany by the Nazi party. After that, we lightened the trip up a bit with a 4 hour bike ride through Munich, with our last stop in the second largest biergarten (beer garden) in Munich at the Chinese Tower.  I am really not a huge beer person, but let me try to describe to you in 3 words how delicious German Beer is: smooth, cold, and delightfully f***ing awesome.  After our long and eventful day, it was time for us to rest up for an even BIGGER day aka the first day of Oktoberfest.  We were forewarned that in order to at least get into a tent, we had to wake up no later than 7:00am.  With that said, my fellow mates and I woke up promptly at 6:30am on 09/21/12 and ventured out into the freezing pouring rain to wait in line for about four hours.  Even though we waited for what seemed to be forever, the end result was totally worth it.  At exactly 12:00pm ,waitresses strong enough to carry about 10-15 liters of beer flooded the hall as the bells of joy and happiness rang, giving us permission to drink infinitive amounts of beer.  It's moments like these that make me really appreciate the fact that I am able to study abroad.  It really is a beautiful thing when you are able to be in a place where people from all around the world come together to enjoy each other's company- it's overwhelming in so many positive ways. So thank you Oktoberfest, for giving me new friends and memories that will last a lifetime.

P.S. I unfortunately did not bring my baby (SLR camera) to Germany, in fear that it would be drowned in beer and god knows what.  So these are all pics taken from my iPhone.  Prost!

                                                                          Dachau



                                                                  Munich Bike Tour 




Chinese Tower



Oktoberfest!

 







2 comments:

  1. you said you would describe the beer in 3 words.....you used 5 though. explain that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I know, that was the point. I couldn't describe it in 3!

    ReplyDelete